Paid On-Call Firefighter Recruitment
The City of Chilliwack recruits Paid On-Call (POC) firefighters annually for the POC Recruit Training Program. POC firefighter applications are currently being accepted, until January 15, 2021 for the 2021 POC Recruit Training Program, at the following halls:
- Hall #1 Main (#2 - 45950 Cheam Avenue)
- Hall #2 Rosedale (51235 Yale Road)
- Hall #3 Yarrow (42385 Yarrow Central Road)
- Hall #4 Sardis (45433 South Sumas Road)
- Hall #5 Ryder Lake (49285 Elkview Road)
- Hall #6 Greendale (6485 Sumas Prairie Road)
Note: New applicants from the Promontory area that apply for Hall 5 and are accepted at Hall 5 will be required to provide two years continuous service at Hall 5 prior to being considered as a candidate for Hall 4.
If you are a motivated individual and physically fit, you may have a future as a POC firefighter.
All fire halls are staffed by POC Firefighters
Who are Paid On-Call Firefighters?
POC firefighters are your neighbours, your co-workers and your friends. They are men and women in all walks of life that live close to you and respond 24/7 when paged to deal with the emergencies in our community. They are people of all ages, races and backgrounds. They are people who choose to give to our community.
POC firefighters are paid an hourly wage when called to respond to emergencies and to attend weekly Monday night practice sessions.
Minimum Membership Requirements:
These requirements are mandatory for selection.
- 19 years of age or older
- High school graduate or GED certificate
- Reside in the City of Chilliwack
- Current and valid BC Driver's License (Class 5 or better)
- Safe driving record as demonstrated by a Drivers Abstract. More than six points in the past three years, as of the date of the application, may eliminate an applicant from consideration
- No criminal record. A completed RCMP Criminal Record Check will be required for those that successfully pass the interview process
- Physically and medically fit (a medical examination is required prior to fitness testing as supplied by the fire department)
- Normal vision and hearing. Regular glasses cannot be worn under a self contained breathing apparatus (SCBA mask)
- No phobias of heights or confined spaces
- Available to attend Monday night practices (7:15 p.m. – 9:15 p.m.)
- Ability to respond to calls all year
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Ability to use computer programs such as Mircrosoft Word, Excel, and E-Learning platforms
- No beard once accepted (prohibited for safety reasons)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or landed immigrant)
These requirements would be a benefit to your selection but are not mandatory.
- Employed and work in Chilliwack
- Daytime response ability
- Previous firefighter experience
- Class 1 or 3 Driver's License
- Air Brake endorsement
- Current First Aid and/or CPR certification
- Trades certification (e.g., electrical, plumbing, mechanical, construction)
- Post-secondary education
- Volunteer experience with other organizations
- Reside close to your Fire Hall
Hiring Process Timeline (subject to change, all start times TBA)
January 15, 2021 Closing of applications
January 25 - 29, 2021 Interviews of selected applicants
January 29 – February 9, 2020 Selected applicants to complete Medical examination
February 9, 2021 Physical testing of selected applicants
February 10, 2021 Selection of successful applicants
February 16, 2021 Recruit Camp begins
June 6, 2021 Recruit Camp completes
The Program will run every Tuesday and Thursday evenings, all day Saturdays, with some occasional Sundays. The First Responder component will run February 19, 20, 21, 26, 27, 28.
A Chilliwack Fire Department medical examination is to be completed at no cost to the candidate. This will be only for those that have successfully passed the interview process and must be completed prior to the physical testing. Applicants will be required to make an appointment with their physician. Further details will be provided after the interview to only candidates being considered for positions with the Fire Department.
If interested, please print and complete the application form (found on the link below) or complete the fillable electronic application, attach necessary documentation and submit you completed application package to Hall 1, #2-45950 Cheam Avenue, by January 15, 2021. Only applicants selected for the interview process will be notified.
Applicants that do not submit all of the information may be disqualified from the process.
For more information, please call Lieutenant Greg Zutter, Training Officer, at 604.792.8713 or email email@example.com.