Fire Prevention Week 2020
October 3 - 10, 2020
The City of Chilliwack Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) — the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week for more than 90 years —to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
Chilliwack Fire Department encourages all residents to embrace the 2020 Fire Prevention Week theme.
• Never leave cooking food unattended. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling. If you have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
• You have to be alert when cooking. You won’t be alert if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs, or consumed alcohol that makes you drowsy.
• Always keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame. Turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
• Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
Check out NFPA's Fire Prevention Week website for more information: Click Here
Hey kids - check out Sparkys Fun House here
Fire prevention information and tips can be found on our website at www.chilliwack.com/fire, or contact us at 604.792.8713.
Fire safety is everyone’s responsibility so let’s work together to continue to make
Public safety is our priority. We are following all applicable provincial health and safety directives.
Fire Trucks @ Home Depot - Saturday, October 3 (11am-1pm)
Come out and see some of the Chilliwack Fire Department's fire trucks at their drive-thru event! Stayed tuned for more information!
Community Fire Drill - Wednesday, October 7 @ 6:30pm
When you hear the fire truck siren, test your smoke alarm and practice your home escape plan.
For more information on the fire prevention activities, please contact us at 604.792.8713.
Great BC Shakeout - Drop, Cover, and Hold - October 15th @ 10:15 am