A Business Licence is your formal permission to operate a business within the City of Chilliwack. The Business Licence Office is located at 8550 Young Road Chilliwack BC V2P 8A4. Hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm excluding Statutory holidays. For information on the requirements for a licence phone 604.793.2909. Please read our Business Licence brochure for more information. If you are interested in downtown businesses, please see the Downtown Business Information Brochure.
Registering Your Business
Business Licence name searches and registration can be done online with the BC Registry or you can visit the provincial government's 'One Stop Registry' for business located at:
BC Access Center
45467 Yale Road West
Step 1 - Selecting A Business Name
- The first step in the registration process is the approval of a business name. Business names must have both a descriptive and distinctive element. The name approval process and registration can be completed online at www.bcregistrynames.gov.bc.ca.
- Name Approval Request forms may be downloaded from the Ministry of Finance website. Forms are also available at the BC Access Centre. The cost of name search is $35.00.
Step 2 - Registering Your Business Name
- Once your business name is approved, it is reserved for 56 calendar days. Within this 56-day period, you must register your business with the Corporate Registry. You can register your name approval online with a credit card or you can register at the BC Access Center.
- The cost of registering your Sole proprietorship and partnership is $40.00.
Please note: Sole proprietorship and partnership names have no statutory name protection. If name protection is important to you, you may wish to incorporate your business (cost for incorporation is $350.00).
- Business owners who decide to establish a business in their own name, without adding any other words (i.e. "and sons/daughters" or "and associates"), do not have to go through the Name Approval Request process, nor does their business have to be registered with the Corporate Registry.
For more information on starting a small business, please see the information booklet provided by the Ministry of Small Business and Revenue. The information booklet is available in 8 different languages on the Ministry of Small Business and Revenue website.
|Application for Commercial Business||2019-07-17||374KB|
|Application for Home Based Business & Non-Resident||2019-07-17||346KB|
|Business Licence Brochure||2012-08-15||231KB|
|Downtown Business Licencing Brochure||2013-05-17||222KB|
|Food Vending Agreement Application||2019-05-01||100KB|
|PCTIB Private Career Training Institutions Manual||2018-02-07||7.23MB|
|Starting a Small Business||2012-05-01||475KB|
|Fire Safety Plan Guidelines for Daycares||2016-07-21||1.36MB|
BizPaL is an innovative online service that provides entrepreneurs with simplified access to information about business permits, licences and other requirements needed to start, operate and grow their business from the federal, provincial/territorial and participating municipal governments.
This links to the Bylaw section of website. Look for 'Business Licence Bylaw 1484 (C)'.
We provide a list of new businesses to Chilliwack on a quarterly basis. We include application date, business name, address, telephone number and business licence number.
The City has created Policy Directive G-22: Gathering for an Event in the ALR to regulate the licencing of permitted events to be held on land subject to the Agricultural Land Reserve Use regulations.
A business licence to facilitate mobile businesses to operate in 11 different municipalities.
This links to the regulations for the two following classes of business activity that are permitted on public lands:(i) Street Vending i.e. commercial food vendors operating from public lands (ie. roads, parks, parking lots, City trails, etc.) on an annual or seasonal basis.(ii) Special Event Vending i.e. commercial vendors operating from public lands for the duration of a specific event (i.e. Public Markets, Farmers Markets, sporting events, etc.).