Paid-on-Call Firefighter Recruitment
The City of Chilliwack recruits Paid-On-Call (POC) firefighters annually in the fall for the recruit training program. The competition for 2016/2017 has now closed.
- Hall #1 Main (#2,45950 Cheam Avenue)
- Hall #2 Rosedale (51235 Yale Road)
- Hall 3# Yarrow (42385 Yarrow Central Road)
- Hall #4 Sardis (45433 South Sumas Road)
- Hall #5 Ryder Lake (49285 Elkview Road)
- Hall #6 Greendale (6485 Sumas Prairie Road)
If you are a motivated individual and physically fit, you may have a future as a POC firefighter. Eligible applicants will be required to complete recruit training starting in November through March (Wednesday evenings and Saturdays, with some Sundays periodically through the program).
All fire halls are staffed by POC Firefighters
Who are Paid-On-Call Firefighters?
POC firefighters are your neighbours, your co-workers and your friends. They are men and women in all walks of life that live close to you and respond 24/7 when paged to deal with the emergencies in our community. They are people of all ages, races and backgrounds. They are people who choose to give more than they take from their community.
Minimum Membership Requirements:
These requirements are mandatory for selection.
- 19 years of age or older
- High school graduate or GED certificate
- Reside in the City of Chilliwack
- Current and valid BC Driver's License (Class 5 or better)
- Safe driving record as demonstrated by a Drivers Abstract. More than six points in the past three years, as of the date of the application, may eliminate an applicant from consideration
- No criminal record (a completed RCMP Criminal Record Check is required with your application)
- Physically and medically fit (a medical examination is required prior to fitness testing as supplied by the fire department)
- Normal vision and hearing (regular glasses cannot be worn under an SCBA mask)
- No phobias of heights or confined spaces
- Available to attend Monday night practices (7:15 p.m. – 9:15 p.m.)
- Ability to respond to calls all year
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- No beard once accepted (prohibited for safety reasons)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or landed immigrant)
These requirements would be a benefit to your selection but are not mandatory.
- Employed and work in Chilliwack
- Daytime response ability
- Previous firefighter experience
- Class 1 or 3 Driver's License
- Air Brake endorsement
- Current First Aid and/or CPR certification
- Trades certification (e.g., electrical, plumbing, mechanical, construction)
- Post-secondary education
- Volunteer experience with other organizations
- Reside close to your Fire Hall
POC firefighters are paid an hourly wage when called to respond to emergencies and to attend weekly practice sessions.
If interested, please check back in August 2017
For more information, please call Captain Rick Meeres, Training Officer, at 604.792.8713 or email email@example.com.
|Fire Dept Video Player|
|2011-2012 RTP Photos||2012-11-23||76.02MB|